Mar 182009


Does anyone have the fan control? Keep it on “low” for a while please! Whoever has that thermostat control could you please stop turning the knob back and forth!!! If you can’t keep it above freezing, please hold the temperature in the twenties. However, if you can keep it above freezing let spring come on as everything is turning green after the recent rains!

A week ago last Monday we started noticing the radishes and turnips we planted in the hoop houses are coming up! Rhubarb is showing its head as well and we are even seeing a few asparagus shoots! We’d hoped the asparagus would wait to come up until the CSA started, but we’ve just had too much warm weather for it to do that.

Quite a bit of the day I spent tearing apart the transplanter and finding what needed repaired before I can use it. Later that evening Sam Nisly, a carpenter we asked to build the addition onto the garage, drove up with the lumber for that project so it would be here and ready for him.


 We have planned on making that addition for quite a few years, but never have gotten around to it and had used some of the tin we had purchased for that project to cover our front porch so we could have a little more storage room for the house. With the lumber here and Sam wanting to get started the next afternoon (it rained, preventing him from carrying out our well laid plans) Dad, Jena and I scrambled around and got the tin unscrewed and pulled off the porch taking all the styrofoam insulation out along with the 2×4 stringers we’d screwed the tin down with. It was dark by the time we got done, but we made it!

That night we had heavy wind and a downpour of rain! By morning there was hardly a puddle to be found although the creek had risen some. I also noticed that some of the oats planted in the pea rows were popping up!


  Mom had checked the weather forecast and told me it was basically supposed to just get windier and colder all day. Deciding if it was going to stay cool and cloudy I’d prefer getting the mini hoop plastic over the hoops before the wind got any stronger…it was already coming across the country at a good clip!

The morning kept me hopping between projects; from getting the trailer ready for Granddad so he could haul gravel for the garage addition’s floor to helping G-Jena get set up for planting onion sets, chores, unloading Granddad’s first and second loads of gravel and believe I watered the hoop houses as well. I may have watered that afternoon…can’t remember for sure… We did cheat on unloading the gravel though. I think the picture is self explanatory!


 Our weather basically followed the weatherman’s prediction and hit a high of 60 by 10:00 am. and then started falling and didn’t quit until it found a low of 24 that night! During the day we had a few small cold showers of rain and the wind did increase on average. By that evening it was getting rather chilly!

Since the temperature was getting so cold I decided I’d better drain the hoses, cut what little asparagus was poking through the ground as it was just going to freeze off and mulch the rhubarb that was showing itself as well! Oh yes, had to check out the hoop house heaters and take the 100 lb. propane bottle down to the little hoop house and hook it up along with checking out and setting up a squirrel cage fan that someone had given to us to move air in the big hoop house.

I’d hauled the fan up from our recycle pile after dark the night before since it was supposed to rain. The fan actually worked without me needing to repair it! Transferring the big hoop house’s fan out I hooked the squirrel cage fan up and took the other fan down to the little hoop house.

Jena and Leah playing with horses.


 Wednesday I set up some more lights on the plant shelves as the back green house is full and I didn’t have room for the cabbage and broccoli that needed to be transplanted into larger blocks! I started making soil blocks after getting the plant shelves set up. Since I ran out of the large soil blocking mix, I had to mix up some more. Dad came home shortly after that so I grabbed him for a little bit and got his suggestions on getting the transplanter in working order.

Early Thursday morning I made some more soil blocks and then Sam Nisly was able to come over with his son Nathan to work on the garage addition. Our family was very favorably impressed with the speed they made things happen! Jena helped G-Jean switch out trays of transplant blocks while I helped Sam and Nathan. I was very thankful for Jena’s help!

Progressive pictures of the addition throughout the day!


3-12-2009-7 3-12-2009-14 3-12-2009-413-12-2009-47

 Our family also really enjoyed Sam and Nathan’s cheerful smiles and attitude!!!


 After lunch I got G-Jean started transplanting blocks of lettuce, spinach and radicchio from the back greenhouse to both the hoop houses. When G-Jean was done transplanting she hoed in the big hoop house. Funny, even though the temperatures were kind of cold outside, G-Jean seemed to really like working in the hoop houses! The little bit of sunshine making its way through the clouds sure warmed up the hoop houses!

Sam and Nathan pretty well had everything under control so after getting G-Jean started on the transplanting I worked on putting the transplanter back together. I think it’s nearly ready for a test run!

About dark Dad and I hauled the new drag closer to the garage work area to fix it up. One of the main level adjustment pieces needed straightening. My goodness those bolts were rusted solid! With a little work Dad and I were able to get it back to operational although not in prime condition. (There are still a few warps and bends, some make-do pieces and a quite a little rust.)

Sam returned the next day to put the finishing touches on the lean-to. I helped a little trying to keep him supplied in materials etc. It turned out that we’d had a miscommunication and Sam wasn’t prepared to build doors on the end of the building. He had quite a shock when I said something about building the doors that day! Since building the doors wasn’t on his agenda he hadn’t brought any hinges so I rustled around a bit and found just the right number of hinges in a stash of “extra” hinges Dad had picked up a while ago. We were also running close on lumber so I scrounged around and came up with just about the correct amount of lumber in our recycle pile! The Lord just kept helping us find what we needed to make the doors come together and Sam was very generous in taking the extra time to make them…we are extremely grateful to him!


 Completed project!


 Shortly after the addition was finished we started having company roll in. A family from church came out and fed the bottle lambs and took a tour of the farm. Leah’s family drove up too with some friends. Leah had come earlier so she and Jena could get Storm (Leah’s horse) ready to ride. They even put Leah’s new saddle on so all the kids could ride “western”!

Feeding lambs…


  …saying “hello” to Abigail and Anyque…


 …gathering eggs!


…and on top of the world!


 That evening I tried out the drag to see how it would work. The oats I had disked up a few weeks ago hadn’t decomposed enough for it to work properly. The drag would gather up a big wad of oat “trash” and then either dump it in a pile or start pushing a growing mound of soil. I had hoped it would break up some of the soft, crumbly clods that the rain had softened. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Dad had to work a half day at the cement plant Saturday morning, but we were all very thankful that he could come home about 1:00. Granddad was rolling up wire and after lunch Dad and Mom went out to burn off some more of the big pasture. After Granddad was done rolling up wire he helped Mom and Dad burn and they got about half the main section of the big pasture burned by evening.


The section of pasture we burned off near the end of January has been coming back beautiful and green with the gorgeous warm days and recent rains. You can see the contrasting brown of the unburned pasture in the foreground and on the left.



 Jena and Leah went to trim for one of her Natural Hoof Care clients and didn’t get back until late afternoon. G-Jean worked in the garden and hoop houses most of the day. I, on the other hand, played a little with all the different land levelers and clod crushing pieces of equipment I could think of to find something that would crush the dirt clods and handle all the extra oat “trash”. I didn’t find the perfect piece of equipment, but a combination of a couple pieces of equipment may end up working. Dad found plans for making a “mumbler” (clod crusher) made out of boards and if I get time I plan to try making one.


 Planting a cover crop of peas and oats in one section of the garden was also on the agenda and I was able to get that done.


As many of you are aware the government seems to keep getting larger and larger managing to make more and more rules and regulations that may be well intentioned but could end up squashing small farms. There are now several bills in congress (H.R. 875, H.R. 759, S.425 and H.R. 814) that will make it nearly impossible for small farms to register and keep up with all the necessary licenses, record keeping etc. The cost for the mandatory registration will put most small farms under. In my opinion it’s safer to have many smaller sustainable farms that are customer inspected (on small direct-market farms the customers are the end consumers!) rather than the large mega factory farms that have a government inspector swing by every once in a while… Just look at all the medical problems related to mega factory farms and processing facilities recently!

Another view is if there are many small diversified farms there will be a much more stable food base than a few large farms supplying huge percentages of the food supply. One small 160 acre farm going under for one reason or another won’t make nearly as large a ripple in the food supply as a 10,000 acre farm! For more information on the bills in congress look at: and type in the bill of interest. A good article to read is posted at the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund website:  Also check out the Action Alert located here:


 Of similar concern for small farmers is the NAIS (National Animal Identification System) which will require farmers to implant micro chips in all kinds of livestock including chickens and other small animals! For more information on the NAIS look at:  and

If  you are concerned about maintaining a base of diversified small farms across this country, read up on these issues and write your congressmen to let them know how you feel.

Enjoy the spring weather!

Farmer Josh and the Mitchell family crew


 Jena calling the sheep in for breakfast and counting lambs. We now have 33 lambs and a set of triplet goat kids!




Bloom report:

Many color variations of daffodils are still blooming




  One Response to “Weather or Weather Not”

  1. Great new blog! Thanks for all the information about the new bills introduced. There is much work to be done when trying to keep up with all of the different ways that they wish to regulate small farms.
    Keep up the good work!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.